Almost every other mobile user has Android running on it. No wonder it is one of the best available operating systems for mobile phones these days. And, as we are talking about Android here, we must not forget to mention its owner, Google. Yes, Google has built almost every application that one needs on the phone. They have their own photos app, messaging app, video calling app, and what not! Similarly, Google has Gmail as well which is one of the most versatile and well known emailing application that an individual can opt.
But, there are still a number of users across the globe that use and prefer Hotmail. Whatever you name it, Hotmail or Outlook, it is all the same. “Outlook” is just a new name given to Hotmail by its new owner Microsoft. And, if you are one of those people, this guide will help you to set up Hotmail account on your Android device if you are facing any issues.
Two Methods to Get Connected
You will find various different apps on the Play Store that serve the mailing services. Still, we prefer you to use the apps which are well known so that you do not have to face any privacy issues in future. The first name that comes in our mind is definitely an app from Google which is Gmail. Still, some users do not feel safe while using it.
Therefore, the best alternative that you are left with is Microsoft’s official Outlook client. Although, if you are using your Microsoft account with the Gmail application. Then it is preferable to stick with the app and use it as before. Otherwise, you can get Outlook app on your Android device. We will tell you how to do that.
The Official Outlook for Android App
You might be using Outlook on your PC for a long time, but on counterpart, Outlook for Android is a whole new experience for everyone out there. The best part about the app is that it is entirely junk-free, and does not have many unnecessary features. Fortunately, the features it has makes this application one of the best in its field. Let us take a look at the features of the Outlook aka Hotmail mobile app:
- Clean and Focused Inbox: The best part about this app is that it learns with time and automatically filters out the junk messages and shows you the important messages on top. Messages from recipients that you don’t read or reply mainly filters out and go to other inboxes. And, the ones that you frequently read and reply are given more priority than others.
- Cloud Integration: It has this useful feature that helps a lot. All your messages are safe in your OneDrive as the app automatically integrates with it and saves your messages from getting lost. Another good part here is that you can link up your Box and Dropbox accounts as well. Therefore, it is one of the best options for you to add and save attachments.
- Scheduled Message: If you are busy somewhere in work and receive an important email. No worries, you can reschedule it with a single swipe. The app will automatically give you another notification so that you do not forget to read that important email.
- Support for Multiple Accounts: Like any other Mail application, Outlook does provide you with the flexibility to use other accounts as well. It is not just limited to Hotmail and Outlook accounts. You can easily access your Google, Yahoo, and iCloud accounts using the Outlook application for Android.
How to Setup the Outlook App on Android
So, here is a short guide on how you can set up the Outlook application on your Android smartphone. First of all, you need to look for the application on the Play Store. After that, download the application and open it. Now, the main part begins on which we will be focusing in order to set up the Hotmail account.
As soon as you launch the Outlook app on your Android phone, a screen will appear where you will see “Outlook for Microsoft account”. There is no need to worry even if your email address ends with hotmail.com or live.com.
Now follow these simple instructions to keep going. The Outlook app will ask you to enter your email address and the password as well. Apart from that, if you have two-step authentication activated on your account, you will need to enter the code you receive as well. That was easy, right? So, now you are inside your account in the Outlook app. Here are some additional instructions that you must follow if you want to use the Outlook app beneficially.
You will see the Settings icon on the right-hand corner of the application. Simply tap on it, and a small window will open up. Make sure that the Focused Inbox button is on. Also, you will find a Filter button on your inbox screen as well. You can use that button to filter out the rest of the messages. This feature filter all the messages and the emails which are unread or flagged or have any attachments will come up to the top.
Moreover, if you look down at the bottom of the screen. You will notice that you get quick access to your Contacts, Files and Attachments that are linked to your Cloud accounts.
From the link given below, you can easily download the Outlook application for your Android Smartphone:
Use Outlook with the Gmail App
Gmail is one of the most versatile emailing services which one can opt these days. You can easily set up an Outlook account, Hotmail account, or Live account using the Gmail application.
Unfortunately, when you log in a non-Gmail account in the Gmail application. You do not get the Push email feature. Instead of that, you can select an interval at which the app will automatically refresh and look for the new messages. By default, the period is of 15 minutes.
Still, as we are operating on Android here, nothing is that much difficult to tweak. You can easily add the push support using the ‘Gmailify’ option. There are various more options that you must know about Gmail:
- Integration with Android: When you use your Outlook account in the Gmail application, it automatically integrates your account with the other applications on Android such as Contacts.
- A Unified Inbox: The unified inbox option allows you to look at all your messages in one tab. To access this, click on the Sidebar given in the Gmail app and select All messages option.
- Gmailify: Once you log in your non-Gmail account in the Gmail app, you get the Gmailigy option. By activating this feature, your third-party email account will work as a normal Gmail account without affecting the real domain of the address.
- Spam control and filtering: Once you Gmailify your account, you get all the advanced feature that Gmail provides to its users. Therefore, you can filter all your messages and keep control over the busy inbox. Moreover, Gmail offers some powerful spam control features as well.
How to Access Outlook in the Gmail App
It does seem like a hefty process to do but, believe us, it is not! Firstly, Open Gmail application on your Android smartphone. Once you are in, slide out the sidebar from the left side of the screen. You will notice a small arrow next to your Gmail profile. Click on the arrow and select the Add Account option.
A list of various mailing services will appear on the screen. Hence, select the Outlook option. If you have any other account, such as Yahoo, Exchange, etc. Select that option according to your needs.
Now, add your email address and the corresponding password as well. Also, if there is two-step verification on your account, enter the code and proceed.
At last, the Gmail app will ask for some permissions to access your account. Give the required permissions and you are good to go. By default, the setting is set to check for new emails at an interval of 15 minutes, you can change that as well according to your preference.
Give it some time to manage your Outlook account. Once the process completes, you will be able to access all your messages via the Gmail app. Now, on the top of the screen, you will see a Gmailify option. Click on “Give it a try” button and follow the instructions.
When you activate the Gmailify option, your account converts into a Gmail account and you can use the advanced settings of the Gmail app just as you get in a normal Gmail account. All the messages will sort out and a clean inbox will appear on your screen. But, as your account is of a third-party service, your email address with other domain will still be working like normal.
Fortunately, Gmailify has some other benefits as well. You get some powerful search options by using this option. As a result, your email integrates with Google Now cards. And, it gives you the advantage of better notifications as it is one of the best features of Android OS. But, the Gmailify option has a downside as well because you let Google fetch the data from your non-Gmail account. So, you might not feel happy if you have some privacy concerns.
Still, it is not that big deal to opt-out of the service. Go to your Gmail account settings and tap on the Unlink button to remove your Microsoft account from there.
Either you can search for the Gmail app on the Play Store to download it if it is not present on your Android phone already. But, that is a very rare case! Still, you can also use the link given below to download the Gmail app for Android:
So, now you can easily access your Hotmail or Outlook account on your Android phone. In case you have any queries, make sure to comment down below and ask us.