If you have forgotten your Windows Live account password on your phone, in your system (Windows 10), or on another device (for example, XBOX), it is relatively easy to recover and continue to use your device with your previous account. All the details on how to recover Windows Live Hotmail password on a phone or computer are available here. Along with what is essential for this and some nuances that may be useful during recovery.
In this article, we will focus on the problem of password recovery for the Microsoft account.
The essence of the problem
Microsoft states that about seven hundred million devices around the world use the latest operating system which is Windows 10. Therefore, at least 70% of the users have an account on the corresponding website of the corporation. This provides access to all the features that Microsoft offers.
By registering on a Windows Live Hotmail account, users can perform special additional parameter settings. This gives the user full management of control over all of Microsoft products.
This approach greatly simplifies the process of monitoring and managing the parameters of corporation products. And saves the user from remembering many passwords. But in turn, it significantly increases the responsibility for password loss. Because in such a case, access to all registered products can be lost.
How to prevent loss of Passwords
In the vast international computer network “Internet”, users can find a variety of fixed and remote network applications for storing various passwords and other confidential information. Such password managers allow the user to access their private data at any time if necessary. And also guarantee the user a certain level of protection of his information and block any unauthorized access to his/her personal data.
If for some reason, you do not use the password manager to store credentials and rely on your memory, there is a huge probability of losing or forgetting the password. Most sites, including the Microsoft website, recommend using a complex combination of letters and numbers in different sequences to protect your account from hacking and possible malicious penetration. If you have forgotten your password for your Microsoft Hotmail account, which can also be for the account Outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com or even skype.com, you cannot recover the same password. However, it’s easy to restore access to your account by resetting the old password and replacing it with the new one.
How to recover your Microsoft account password
- Open your favorite web browser and go to the “Microsoft” account page.
- Then click the “Login” button in the upper right corner.
- Go to your Microsoft account page and click the Login button.
- On the account login page, enter your Microsoft username and click Next.
Please note: Due to changes over the years, you may have used any email associated with Microsoft as your account. This includes the sites Outlook.com, Live.com, Hotmail.com, and Skype.com. Microsoft even allows you to register with your email addresses of third-party applications, such as your Gmail address. But the password for your original Microsoft account will be different from your other passwords.
- After verifying the username, a page for entering the password appears. Under the password field, click the “Forgot Password” text link.
- On the next page, you will be asked to select one of three possible answers. This will explain why you are unable to log in to your account.
- Check the box “I don’t remember my password”, and then click the “Next” button.
- You need to enter certain characters that you see on the account recovery screen as a security measure. Do this, and then click the “Next” button.
Verify your identity with the email address or phone number connected to your account
- On the new page that opens, you will need to confirm your identity that you are the owner and have the right to manage the settings for this account. From the proposed options.
- You will need to choose in what way you want to pass an identity verification check. You will have two options to choose from.
- In the first case, you will receive a security code for your account by email sent to the email address. In the second option, you can receive a text “SMS” message with a code on a verified phone number.
- If you select the option with an email, then put a check the first option. Then, click the “Send code” button.
- If you decide to choose a method of receiving a security code via SMS, then activate the corresponding box. To receive the code to your mobile device, click the “Send code” button.
- Also, to confirm that you are the owner of the phone number specified in the account settings. You will have to enter its last four digits.
- Check your email inbox and find an email from Microsoft Account Support. On the identity confirmation page, enter the code that you received in the email, and click “Next”.
- On the password reset page, enter the new password (be sure to make it difficult to increase the security).
- In the next line, confirm your new password by typing it again, and click the “Next” button.
- Your password is changed successfully, about which you will immediately receive a notification on the account recovery page. Click the “Next” button again and you will be taken to the login screen of your account, where you can use your new password to enter.
Verify your identity if you do not have an alternative email
If on the accounting control service page entries Microsoft you have selected the option, “I do not have the data” from the list of options for a security code, Microsoft will have to send you a security code to another email address as verification.
To do so, follow the following steps:
- On the next page, enter the email address to which you want to receive a security code, and click the “Next” button.
- Now check your email address. After you receive the security code for the Microsoft account, enter it in the specified field and click the “Confirm” button.
- After confirmation, you will be redirected to the pages of the recovery section of the user account. On them you will need to fill out a form with information related to your account, for example, name and surname, date of birth, the Country in which you created the account, sent emails, used products from Microsoft Corporation, etc. Click the “Next” button and submit the completed form.
- After you submit the form, the Microsoft Account Technical Support team will review the information you provide and notify you if the information you sent is sufficient to restore access to your account within 24 hours by the email address you provided.
- If you have entered enough correct and reliable information and your request has been accepted, you will receive an email with instructions for resetting the old password.
- Although, If your request was rejected, you have the opportunity to try sending the application for account recovery again up to two times a day. If you cannot remember enough information to restore your account, you may need to create a new account.
The process of recovering your own Microsoft account is quite easy and does not take much time. You just need to carefully follow the suggested instructions and enter the reliable information that you used when registering your account. Then you can reset your old password and create a new password. And then log in to your account and gain access to all Microsoft products related to it.